Construction Development of the Upper Castle
In the 13th century, construction of the medieval castle was limited to the top of the rock providing natural protection. The castle could be preceded by burgus – a signal watchtower as a part of the Roman station. The upper castle consisted of the walled cylindrical tower with the edge protecting residential buildings with a small courtyard on the southern side.
In the 15th century, the unsuitable built-up area, damaged at one of the war conflicts, was replaced by a residential building with the irregular ground plan with a small courtyard on the western side and with a cistern for rainwater. It was built by Mikuláš Garay. As indicated by findings of the Gothic vault ribs or tiles with relief decorations, the graphic level of the reconstruction of the upper castle was high.
The road to the upper castle was protected by a moat with a wooden bridge followed by a stairway in a protected corridor. A part of the corner from the advanced prismatic tower has been preserved here. In the 16th century, the older built-up area was extended by building additional floors with the resulting multi-storey Renaissance building, the residential comfort of which was improved by multiple advanced oriels and prevets – toilets supported by stone consoles. Its Renaissance appearance had been preserved until it ceased to exist in 1809.