Residential and Economic Buildings of the Lower Castle
Residential and economic functions were provided by several solitaire buildings in the lower castle. A large stove with a front area bricked of quarry stone was discovered in one of the rooms of a double room house with the rectangular ground plan and with the size of 12 × 5m bordered by a stone circumferential bricked wall. When removing the building backfill, a sword with nielloed gold signs of its manufacturer was found there along with the common settlement inventory. On one side of the blade, one can find a sign in the shape of an isosceles cross and sickle, on the other side a sign resembling the symbol of the empire apple. Based on analogies, the sword comes from the period between 1450 and 1470. A bricked wall made of quarry stone joined with mortar has been preserved up to the height of 1.5m in a single room house with the rectangular ground plan and with the size of 6.5 × 5.6m. The bricked wall formed the basement of the building illuminated through a window; the basement was partly embedded in the sub-base. The floor above the basement was made of wood destroyed by fire, as confirmed by a thick layer of ashes, coals, and burnt puddle. The house dating back to the 15th century was used as a residential building by castle servants or garrison and its lower part might be used for economic or storage purposes.